When the keynote speaker at a communication conference tells you he has assisted 7000 companies, in over 20 years, increase their “social mention” on the internet, you sit up and listen, pull out a pen, yes a pen, and start taking copious notes. I KNOW NOTHING!
This presentation was the keynote address at the National Communication Coaching Association conference at Toronto City Hall on Wednesday, April 3, 2019. The presentation was to educate mostly consultants and business owners on how to grow their business through the effective use of social media. Read and learn!
Slava Apel, from http://www.linkedin.co/in/webtoprint says to be most effective in social media you have to EARN attention, you have to provide and share useful content on a regular basis. 92% of the brands Slava works with see results through social media. Addicts of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. are said to be on “behavioral cocaine.” 48% of all “addicts” click on FB/Twitter/LI/Instagram as soon as they wake up in the morning, or even in the middle of the night. Are you kidding me? I have to feed my cat first! Apparently these addicts suffer from FOMO, The Fear of Missing Out, in other words, what happened while I was away? OH MY GOD, NOTHING? I better check again! The best time to post on LinkedIn is at 9AM, noon and 5PM, as this is when people check the site the most. FB and Twitter have their preferred times as well, so as to be part of the stream.
How Do You Create Traffic?
Slava said the first considerations are:
1. Authority – Slava has 50 profiles running on the internet and he keeps an Excel spreadsheet of when he posts, what he posted and when to post next. Are you kidding me? What is an Excel spreadsheet?
2. Influencer – this is where you piggy-back on important people or pools of people, clubs, webs of people, FB promos, people with connections, hubs of people. Exhibit something popular, something trending.
3. #Hashtagging – started with Twitter and the “focus topic” being discussed such as #socialmedia, #communicationstrategies. This # categorizes and classifies information used as search terms.
4. Virality – going viral, posting on social media for all to see or promote, like a group of us did as we were sitting in Slava’s presentation, and fueling the message to our networks and then our networks promoting to their networks, and so on… as we all got to see each other and connect somewhat.
Note there are 500 social media platforms, so participate only where your customers are.
Social Media Best Practices
1. Use strong, useful relevant content. Don’t gather other peoples’ stuff; create your own material, strive to be unique and rare.
2. Have frequent interaction with others.
3. Pay attention to norms and culture of each platform.
4. Create a social media policy for your organization.
Miscellaneous Bits of Information
1. Hootsuite software can manage three profiles, for FREE, to keep track of all your profiles.
2. Create a twitter hashtag that is a three-syllable word at the most. Create a short and relevant Twitter account name. My new one is @cclarketrainer
3. Facebook has 20X more traffic than Twitter.
4. Twitter is the easiest to use, it is a great place to get started in social media for business.
5. Make a video and put it on YouTube.
I am going to start using hashtags and @ symbols more in my online correspondence and see if it can become more second nature to me than it is now. I will start by thanking @SlavaApel for his excellent, insightful, educational presentation at #NCCA2019. NOW I KNOW A TINY BIT!
Career Coach, Corporate Trainer, Author, NCCA Board member
You must be a member of this site to submit comments.